Tuesday, November 29, 2011

remembering...waffles


I've been organizing some photos from a recent trip to Bruges, Belgium. It's like a place taken from out of a storybook, so beautiful.  I think I was looking through the lens of my camera more than not.  Bruges is known as the “Venice of the North” for its medieval monuments, bridges and romantic scenery.  You can experience the city by taking a cruise through the canals, and discover secret gardens, picturesque bridges and wonderfully beautiful still lives.


 











Along the cobblestone streets in Bruges you can stop into anyone of the 49 chocolate boutiques (after all they are the world’s capital of chocolate) 














or indulge in delicious yeast-raised waffles anytime of day sold by street vendors.  Either plain, dipped in chocolate, topped with whipped cream or fruit they are a comfort I enjoyed if not once at least twice a day.

I think some waffles with a little chocolate might be just the ticket today.

Enjoy!
Shannon
  

Waffles with Chocolate 

 

On a cold winter night (or anytime), indulge in this decadent dessert—homemade waffles dipped into rich chocolate.

For the waffles:

3 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar

For the chocolate:

1 cup heavy cream
1 lb. chocolate chips
2 to 3 Tbs. flavored liqueur, such as kirsch, amaretto or orange liqueur (optional)

Directions:

To make the waffles, preheat a Belgian waffle maker on medium-high heat according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat an oven to 200°F. 

In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. 

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold 1 cup of the whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining whites. 

Pour about 1/3 cup batter into each well of the waffle maker and close the lid. Cook the waffles until golden brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the waffles to a wire rack set on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. 

Meanwhile, make the chocolate fondue: Using the cream, fondue chips and liqueur, prepare the fondue according to the package instructions. Keep warm in a fondue pot. 

Cut the waffles into quarters and serve with the chocolate fondue. Serves 4 to 6.


1 comment:

  1. It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;) Maybe I should change my office job? If I was a chef I might cook at work and nobody complaint :) Thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete