Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the green monster



The market is bursting with citrus right now, saturated color in yellow, orange, and green.  I can’t seem to help myself when I see these orbs piled high, I inevitably grab way too many thinking that I will incorporated them into something amazing.  Most of the time, they end up just getting eaten out of hand, which isn’t all bad I suppose.

There is one citrus in particular that I had yet to try and that is the Pomelo.  But what to do with this green monster is the question I always seem to ask.

So I did a little Pomelo research…

The Pomelo is native to Southeast Asia and is usually pale green to yellow when ripe.  The flesh is very soft, thick and pudgy.  And sometimes they look all bumpy…I guess that’s normal.  It tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit and has little, or none of the common grapefruits bitterness.
























Ok then, sounds good.

I decided to make a simple salad of segmented Pomelos with butter lettuce, large chunks of avocado, cooked shrimp, drizzled with a simple dressing of shallots, cilantro, some of the juice from the Pomelo and olive oil.  It was delicious!
















So if you see this green monster in your local market and haven’t tried it yet…give it whirl.  You won’t be disappointed!

Enjoy!
Shannon


Pomelo Salad with Shrimp and Avocado
Serves 2

1 head butter lettuce
1 Pomelo, segmented (reserve juice for the dressing)
1 lb. cooked shrimp
1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp. chopped shallots
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Lime for garnish
Extra cilantro leaves left whole for garnish

For dressing combine in a small bowl the chopped shallots with the reserved Pomelo juice, champagne vinegar and a dash of salt to help soften the shallots a bit.  Begin to assemble the salad, first layering the butter lettuce (I like to keep the leaves whole) then adding the avocado, the cooked shrimp and the segmented Pomelo.  Finish off the dressing by whisking in the olive oil and then tossing in the chopped cilantro.  Taste for seasoning.  Pour over the composed salad and garnish with lime and the reserved cilantro leaves.







1 comment:

  1. Pretty citrus photos Shannon. I am a citrus nut. We are lucky to have a navel orange, two Meyer lemon and a baby blood orange tree in our yard. I get such simple joy out of picking fruit off our trees! Never had a pomelo though. Will have to try them. My husband cannot eat grapefruit, so I wonder if that goes for pomelos too. The salad looks delicious. Love the combo of shrimp and citrus. Miss seeing you at SLT!

    ReplyDelete